Maine Continuum of Care & Portland Continuum of Care Present
Understanding General Assistance
Ellen Moore, Maine DHHS General Assistance Field Examiner
David MacLean, Social Services Division Director, City of Portland
Wednesday, July 13th, 10-12
City of Portland Building, 196 Lancaster Street
This will be a combination general overview of state policies regarding General Assistance with specifics regarding the City of Portland’s General Assistance Program followed by a question and answer session
- Is there a difference between state policies and local rules / practices?
- What documentation is needed to apply and qualify for General Assistance?
- What are the rules / expectations of General Assistance once a person is approved?
- What are the expectations of the cities / towns in terms of budgeting for General Assistance?
- What are the requirements of cities / towns to be available and respond to requests in a timely manner?
- Is there an appeal process?
Who Would Benefit from Attending?
- Case Managers
- Direct Service Staff
- Housing Programs